Phone: 201-836-7209, or 201-833-8805
 Business hours 9:00AM - 5:00PM EST only.
Email gets quickest response:

Over 1,000,000 Reading Glasses Sold since 1999

Reading Glasses Questions Page

    What is a diopter and how do I pick the correct reading glass magnification?

-What is a diopter?

A diopter is a unit of measurement, like the inch.  Diopters tell you how strongly your reading glasses will magnify what you are reading. The larger the number the more powerful the lens, the larger the text will become (And the easier it will be for you to see it!).

The typical range of diopters for reading glasses is from +1.25 to +4.00. At, we sell glasses from 1.00 to 6.00

What is the difference between an ophthalmologist and an optometrist?

-What is an optometrist?

An optometrist is a professional who learns a great deal about vision, and the structure and function of the human eye. They are able to prescribe corrective lenses, including contact lenses. (A prescription is NOT needed for reading glasses such as those you may purchase from An optometrist is Not a medical doctor (a physician). They cannot perform any eye surgery. They are limited in which drugs they can prescribe to treat eyes.

-What is an ophthalmologist?

An ophthalmologist is an M.D., a physician. To become an ophthalmologist, a person must complete a standard Medical Doctor training program at an accredited medical school. In addition, an ophthalmologist receives extensive training on all ailments and treatments for eye problems. It’s a good idea to get regular eye examinations from an ophthalmologist.

What about reading glasses and computer monitors?

Now this is anecdotal, and it just might be only my crazy eyeballs, but I wear contact lenses for distance, and therefore require reading glasses when working close-up or reading for short periods. So I use 1.50 diopters for reading, BUT I find that on the computer monitor 1.50 is a bit too strong. I find 1.25 perfectly comfortable. If you work on a computer, you might try a slightly weaker lens for that use, better yet, get two pairs, one for reading, one for the computer.

Resources and other literature

    Where can I look to find an eye doctor (An Ophthalmologist)?

The American Academy of Ophthalmology is the largest professional organization of Ophthalmologists (Eye M.D.s in the USA). Use local search features to find a member doctor in your area.